Question
Posted by: Kaybee | 2012-01-11

Newly diagnosed hypertension

In the past three years, I have given up smoking, gained a lot of weight, lost a lot of weight (although still weigh more than I did when I gave up smoking), now eat more healthily than I ever have, exercise more than I have since I left school, and yet my BP has increased dramatically.
I was diagnosed yesterday with high blood pressure (160/110). I weigh 102kgs and my doctor said the high BP was as a result of my being overweight. I agree this is a possibility but I would appreciate your advice because this time last year, I weighed 14 kgs more than I do now. I adopted a healthy eating plan and have been exercising regularly (almost daily, 70% cardio and 30% weights) for 6 months. This time last year - before I changed eating habits and started exercising - my BP was 130/100. Three years ago, I weighed 95kg and was smoking 30 cigarettes a day. My BP was textbook at 120/80 (as it had been for my whole life).
I am a woman and 44 years old.
So my question:
Do you think my increased BP is because of my being overweight, or could there be another cause?
My GP has grudgingly done some blood tests (not yet got the results), but is insisting my high BP is because I am overweight and does not seem too interested in finding another (or additional) cause. Should I just go with what he says, or seek another opinion?
Thank you for your help.
Kaybee

Kaybee

You can seek a second opinion by consulting an internal specialist. There are many causes for hypertension but in most cases, you can be suffering from essential hypertension that has no cause at all. It is important that you continue loosing weight and cut salt intake as much as possible. Please refer to the following link regarding high blood pressure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertension