Newly diagnosed?

I have recently been diagnosed with Bipolar, which was a major shock for myself and my family! I am on meds and I' m doing okay, what else can do?

Expert ImageArchive

I can imagine that it must have been a shock for you and your family. BUT, as you say yourself, you are on medication and doing okay. Bipolar disorder is a serious disorder, but at the same time can be very well treated.

Speak to your doctor and also visit reliable websites such as or and get as much as possible information.

Take your medication exactly as prescribed and should you have any adverse effects discuss these with your doctor rather than changing the dose or stopping treatment on your own.

Illicit drugs and alcohol may have devastating effects on the pattern of illness of bipolar disorder and it is strongly advisable to stay away from these.

Hope this answers your question.