Question
Posted by: Marietjie Postma | 2009/12/09

Newborn kitten care

Hi there. I' m haertbroken and want to ask you if there was anything I could have done differently ... I resqued a deserted newborn kitten I think about two weeks old. From day one it sneezed and when I took it to my local vet she meant it was just looking for attention as it was uncommon in kittens this little to devellop resporatory ailments. After almost two weeks this monday morning it suddenly didn' t want to feed and looked droopy so I took it bak to the vet. This time she dicided that it had sniffles ang immediately gave it some sort of pink pill. Well apiece of it. It died later on monday afternoon after I tried evrything from dripping sugar water to formula into its mouth to keep it hidrated and holding it in my hands close to my body for more temperature. It died in my hands and I couln' t do anything to help it!!! Is there anything I could have done to prevent my bab from dying??? Please tell me.

Dear Marietjie

I would have asked for a second opinion. Only a supervet will know when a kitten sneeze to get attention and when not, if you catch my drift. I am not really allowed to say that the vet talked a bit of nonsense.

5
Posted by: Thomas'  owner | 2009/12/12

Dear Marietjie

This is a very tragic time in an animal lover' s life - losing an animal / pet. I also rescued a kitten and was hand rearing it, all was well until one morning. It was as if the air was being let out of a balloon and it died on my husband' s chest. Our super vet called and was so sympathetic about this and explained that one of many things could have caused the kitten' s death - mother may have rejected it and we bought it additional time, the kitten formula may have not been enough to sustain it etc. This may also have been the case with the kitten you saved. As hard as it sounds please know you have done all that was humanly possible to save it and you made it' s last couple of days better. As for the VET, it is tragic that so little regard is paid by a qualified individual to the plight of an animal but console yourself that she/he is also human and cannot always get it right.

Reply to Thomas&#39  owner
Posted by: Sad | 2009/12/10

A life is gone and can never be brought back because of this vet' s incompetence and arrogance! I am absolutely appalled.

I' m so sorry to hear of your loss, Marietjie. :-(
Be kind to yourself...you are clearly a loving, compassionate person and you must' ve comforted her tremendously.

Reply to Sad
Posted by: GD Mom | 2009/12/10

I agree with Chill - time to find a vet who deserves the honour of looking after our pets! I' m sorry you had to go through such a traumatic experience - just know that you did what you could and made your baby as comfortable as possible.

Reply to GD Mom
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/12/10

Dear Marietjie

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2009/12/09

A two-week-old kitten sneezing in order to get attention? Was the vet serious?

I doubt that you could have done more than you did, but since we are all reliant on the expertise of our vets, I think I might find myself another one, if I were you.

Reply to Chill