Question
Posted by: Maureen | 2009-09-19

Newborn

I am 38 and gave birth to my first baby on 8 Sept. He was born at 35 weeks via ceasar. He spent 10 days in Special Care in hospital to aid his breathing and feeding. His breathing is fine but I am struggling with the feeding.

He is too small to latch on my breast so I am feeding him a combination of expressed milk and formula. I can'  t seem to get enough of my own milk hence I am giving him NAN formula as well.

In the last 24 hours he has developed extreme diarrhea - watery yellow poo - in large volumes (maybe 2-3 nappy changes an hour).

3 days ago I started to use a nipple shield to help him breastfeed. It does work and he seems to get milk that way (altough not enough, I need to bottle feed afterwards as well). is there any chance the nipple shield is causing the diarrhea or could it be something else?

Could he get diarrhea from something I eat?

His weight is the same but he is listless and not as energetic as he was before this started.

Many thanks for your help!!
A nervous first time mom!!

Maureen

Your child has diarrhea, unlikely caused by the nipple shield or anything that you eat. It is most probably due to a viral infection.

I do suggest that you take him to the hospital as soon as possible to have him assessed by a doctor to determine the exact reason for his diarrhea and to prevent dehydration. The biggest concern will be that your baby experiences dehydration due to the excessive fluid loss. It is therefore, of utmost importance to prevent this by giving adequate fluid replacement.

Best of luck.