Question
Posted by: Chris | 2009-12-01

New training programme

Hi there, I have just completed your 12 week (I made it 13) combo programme of cardio and weights 5 day a week.(the last 6 weeks I sneaked in 2 evening spinning classes as wel) I combined it with a healthy eating plan during the week and I let go on the weekends.I lost 12 kilograms and am chuffed as hell.
I have to lose a further 13 kg' s and was wondering if you have another programme available with a bit of variety in the weight section as it becomes a bit repetitive doing the same weight excercises over and over.
I await your reply and keep up the good work.
Chris

Hi Chris

Congratulations on your progress to date! That's terrific to hear.

Regarding the next programme, my advice is to use your built up fitness and direct it towards some kind of goal, rather than training for the sake of continuing along the same journey. There area couple of reasons for this, the main one being that as you get nearer and nearer your target weight, the more difficult you'll find it to lose weight at the same rate, and that can be discouraging, so I'd suggest a change in the goal. I'm not sure which kind of cardio you've found particularly helpful, or enjoyable, but if, for example, you really enjoy running, then my advice is to target a 10km race in say Feb, and spend the next 10 weeks preparing to run 10km. Then you move onto a specific programme, and just maintain the weight work that you had been doing.

There are some 10km, or even 21 km (if you fancy a challenge) programmes on the site. There are also cycling programmes, and that may be up your alley. Or, finally, if you don't fancy taking up a sport outdoors and prefer the gym, then I'd say transfer the same concept into the gym, and aim for improvements in fitness, choosing to focus on one of the cardio activities.

Note that this focus need not mean you do one thing only - the variety is really important, so don't specialize, rather just choose what you enjoy and do it with a different purpose for the next cycle, if that makes sense?

Lastly, perhaps the most important thing moving forward will be how you manage the intensity of training. People often train too easy, and then stop loseing weight. Note that I'm not saying you should go out and train super hard, but it does help to lift the exercise intensity, even once a week, if you can.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009-12-06

Hi Chris

Reply to fitnessdoc