Question
Posted by: wendy | 2012-12-06

new snr dog in home with cats

We adopted a senior female corgi cross from the SPCA and I cannot figure out whether to trust her around my very old decrepit cats? She looks very interested and lunges at them but I cannot figure out if she wants to play or attack. She doesn''t SEEM vicious but does snarl and snap when they slap her nose when she gets too close.
I was expecting a docile old lady but this monster has a lot more energy than I bargained for and my poor old cats are NOT impressed

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Wendy, it is always better to err on the side of safety and as this can be a lenghly process to undertake, I have provided you with a link to an article that tells you how to introduce them. You will not need to go the whole way through it, just start at where you feel it is appropriate for your own situation. If you get stuck at all, please just give me a shout, thanks Scotty
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/introducing-dogs-and-cats.html