Posted by: helen | 2009-02-19

new relationship and herpes

Since I found out that I have been tested positive for herpes 2 (though I never had noticable symptoms), I have been going through such terrible trauma. Only had one lover in my life of 40 plus years (because I wanted to be a virgin when I get married, which seemed as if it is never going to happen anyway), and that was two years back, and we only had sex twice! I am absolutely devastated and it feels as if my life has come to an end. And now a wonderful friend I have known quite long, who had not slept around at all, told me that he wants a committed relationship with me, which I would have been so happy about otherwise! He is divorced and I am quite sure he would not have herpes. I SO want to have a good relationship for ONCE in my life with a really good, decent man, but I cannot inflict this terrible disease upon him. WHAT am I to do? Abstain from relationships for the rest of my life?

The fact that you have Herpes does not mean that you have to now abstain from relationships, it purely just mean that you have a responsibility towards yourself and your partner/planned partner to take the necessary care, precaution, be monogamous and be open and honest.

The following link could be helpful in getting basic information regarding Herpes.

By the sound of it, you are emotionally distressed and it could be helpful to seek the assistance of a professional counselor to help you deal with the emotional issues and taking the necessary action for your life.

A website that could be helpful is You are welcome to phone the SASHA Helpline – 0860 100 262; and a facilitator will be able to assist you in finding a practitioner as close as possible to you.

Posted by: BAK | 2009-02-20

But can' t herpes be treated? and let it go away like any other illnesses?

Reply to BAK