Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2010-09-07

New Puppy - Seperation Anxiety

We have a labrador puppy that is close to 8 weeks old. She is an ''only dog'' at this point and, as myself and my fiance both work during the day, we need to start leaving her outside by herself. At the moment she sleeps inside at night and during the day her ''grandmother'' is looking after her. Obviously, this can''t be a permanent solution and we would like her to become an outside dog as soon as possible.
We have tried slowly introducing her to the idea by putting her outside on the weekends during the day while we are in the house but her seperation anxiety is so severe that she squeezes herself into the tiniest gaps to try and get to us and yelps continuously. Any suggestions as to how we can make the transition easier for her?

Hi Nicole

You are going to have to get the help of a dog qualified trainer/behaviourist to assist you with this problem. It will be important to keep her occupied by enriching her environment and/or getting a dog walker e.t.c

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010-09-08

This is an 8-week-old puppy, ferheavensakes. No behaviourist required, just consistent training. Go and buy a book on how to raise a puppy - that should provide you with answers.

However... I must mention that there is no way on this earth that I would leave such a young puppy alone outside all day. There are unpredictable things around for them to get into trouble with, and apart from that, it''s an invitation for someone to come and steal the pup.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-09-08

Hi Nicole

Reply to CyberVet