Question
Posted by: Helen | 2012-07-23

NEW PUPPY

Good day
I have a female dacshund that is 6years now.My male doggie died in December
I can see that she is very lonely.
I want to buy her a new friend but are scared that she will bite the puppy because she is a very jelous doggie,

Is there anyway I can introduce her to the new puppy that she wont get aggressive towards it?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Helen, what I would suggest you do is fristly bring in basic House Rules so that she feels more confident and you know you are totally in charge of the situation. I am putting a link to an article on this below for you to get started with.

When you have done this, read the other article on introducing a dog to a pup which will also give you lots of new tools. I am not going to retype both of these here as I will take up all the space!

Your next step is to find a reputable breeder and ensure that if the situation does not work out, the pup can be returned. After this, take your dog to meet the new pup at the breeders premises and you will be able to see what the reaction will be and take it from there. What is a good idea and can save you a lot of money in the long run, is to have a behaviourist present when you bring the pup home. They will make sure the initial meeting takes place outside the home and help you to safely integrate the pup into the home environment and give you all the tools you need for a successful outcome.

Sometimes, especially if your current dog is not at all taken by the new arrival, or not good in general with other dogs, it is easier and safer to leave her to enjoy her golden years by herself. Good luck and the link to the two articles is below.
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/introducing-a-new-dog-to-a-resident-dog-by-claire-grobbelaardipcabt-coape-uk-nocn-cercab-certified-tellington-ttouchtrade-practitioner-wwwcanineconceptscoza.html

http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/house-rules-for-puppies.html

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012-07-24

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert