Question
Posted by: Brad | 2011-07-12

New Puppy

HI Scotty

We have a male rottie (± 6years old) his best freind died last year also a male rottie and he had not been the same very down in the dumps, we bought a puppy about 8 weeks ago also a male rottie, the big dog is very scared of this little puppy, he runs away and avoids the puppy at all costs, we have had the puppy seperated from the big dog until about a week ago, the puppy is now out in the day and locked at night, the reason we lock the puppy away is that the big dog attacked the puppy one night, did not draw blood but was not very pleasant, my question is: will they get used to each other or are we wasting our time, I do not want the big dof the kill the puppy?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Brad, so sorry but this is not a situation to be dealt with on a forum, you need to get professional help in as soon as possible as serious damage could occur. Also, seperating the dogs could actually cause the current situation to get worse and you need to be taught how to handle this quickly. Please contact me at scotty@scottysdogs.co.za and I will put you in touch with somebody I know, just let me know your area. In your situation, the inclusion of TTouch to help your older dog both cope with the new pup and losing his friend would help trenemdously, but behaviour modification is required as well. thanks Scotty.

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-07-12

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert