Question
Posted by: Melissa Usher | 2010/06/02

New Labelling Legislation

There is nothing in the new Labeling Legislation under Conditions for Nutrient Content Claims, Tables 1 and 2, with regards to Sugar.
Are we able to make ''Sugar Free'' claims on packaging now?

I would be grateful for your advice.

Many thanks,
Melissa

Dear Melissa
Because Tables 1 and 2 do not list 'Sugar' as a nutrient for which a claim of 'Virtually free or free from' can be made, you cannot use this claim for a product that would under normal circumstances not contain any sugar. Also check page 34 item (13) regarding "no sugar added" claims. You may be able to make a comparative claim if your product contains less sugar than another similar product (see page 38), but I would recommend that you first ask the Department of Health, Directorate of Food Control before making any claims about the presence or absence of sugar.

1

Dear Melissa