Question

new job

After months of being an unemployed graduate,i finally got a job(in retail).I was so grateful and excited but my 1st day was horrible and i just wanted to quit right then and there.I am not a quitter though and know it would not look good for my cv to leave on my 1st day.Its not the best job but i am a hardworker and give my all to my appointed tasks and as a result i have been doing well.i feel a lack of support from management and the hours are ridiculous and even though i still stay with my family i hardly have time to spend with them because i am always tired after proming standing the whole day and coming home late.i do not get a chance to go to church as often as i used to as i do not get weekends off.my collegues are not the best people to work with and there is a lot of backstabbing going on.the one thing i enjoy about this job is the customers i interact with. i am unhappy at this job and my health has taken a knock and i have lost a lot of weight.there is also not much prospect of growth and have noticed that people just move around different posts within the store e.g:from brand x consultant to brand y consultant but no growth to upper levels.i want to leave but feel bad when i know many jobless people would kill to be in my shoes and after being unemployed for so long myself,i feel i should just grin and bear it.i''m on a three month contract with the possibility of it being renewed if i reach my monthly targets.should i just stop complaining and be thankful that i have a job or look for a more rewarding job.

If you felt so very discouraged after only one day, did you perhaps have rather unrealistic expectations of how a job would be ? YOu say the hours are ridiculous, but are these not the same hours they surely described to you in the job interview ? You say you fel a lack of support from management, but in a day there hasn't been much time to clarify whatever troubles you might have. or what support you might need, let alone for them to provide it.
Surely it would be best to stay the 3 months, to experience the reality of ordinary work conditions, and to enhance your chances of finding a better job ?
Purple's comments are, as usual, wise and worth thinking over.

5
Posted by: anon | 2011/02/22

thank you Purple and doc.You have put things into perspective for me and appreciate that.Many blessings 2 u.

Reply to anon
Posted by: Purple | 2011/02/21

What you describe does not sound like a healthy place to work. Retail is an area known as difficult to work in - like the entertainment industry. Supervisors and managers are given more power than they should have, as they are given these titles at extremely low levels, and in my experience, this goes to their heads and they shout at people and generally just behave badly, and if you have a degree and they don''t, they make your life a misery.

Don''t take things to heart. Remember that when you are given vague instructions on purpose so that no matter how you do things you will always be wrong, its a reflection on the bully and not on you.

However, don''t stay in that environment, start looking now for other work. You know how long it will take you to find work - it takes 6 months to a year from when you start looking until you are placed, so be prepared to work there for at least a year. When you are asked why you are leaving, say that you feel you don''t fit with the retail environment.

In the early stages of your career, it is quite common to have some dud jobs - it happens to everyone, it only counts against you if every job you have had turns into a dud one - then the problem lies with you and not the environment.

There is no glory in sticking out a rotten situation, get up, dust off your knees and keep going in your quest for success by finding work in another industry. Also remember that your time spent there will not be wasted - you will have learnt a lot about how to deal with bullies, you will have gained some experience - and no matter what people tell you, unless you are in a technical field, experience is not really industry specific - particularly if you have a degree and can carry knowledge across to new situations.

Its hard at the start of your career, but in ten years time you will look back on this blip and be thankful you just moved on when you could.

Reply to Purple

Posted by: JC | 2011/02/20

You should be very thankful - as a church goer ask yourself What would Jesus do?

Reply to JC
Posted by: JC | 2011/02/20

Reply to JC