Question
Posted by: Keke | 2010/05/12

New gym machine

I have just joined a new gym which is equip with so many machines I wonder sometimes if they are working benefit or health dangers.
One machine I am more interested to enquire about is the vibrating machine (do not know what it is called) where you just stand and choose the vibration level and it is promised to have your cellulite gone....How true is this?
another thing how safe is it to use this vibrating machine.....will it have health implecation later on in my life...I read somewhere that radio waves could cause cancer what about the vibration wave?????????

Hi Keke

Those vibrating machines have received a lot of hype in the last few years, and now all the major gyms have them. There's no evidence, at least, no good evidence that I'm aware of, that they work for cellulite. There is evidence that they help improve strength and balance, because they activate nerve reflexes. But in terms of weight loss, none at all, and you're probably better of walking for 10 minutes than standing on the platform for 10.

In terms of safety, no danger unless they're used for too long. And the vibration waves can't cause any chemical changes in the body like radiation or radio waves. The only risk is that you can injure joints if you overdo it. But again, I'd limit the use, and rather do old-fashioned exercise,w hich we know works.

2
Posted by: keke | 2010/05/17

thank you very much....very helpful

Reply to keke
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/05/15

Hi Keke

Reply to fitnessdoc