Question
Posted by: Kirsten | 2010/03/25

New food label regulations

I refer to your article " SA''s new food label regulations"  Tuesday, March 23, 2010. I was wondering if the new labelling regulations also require manufacturers to state whether or not their products contain / are GM products? The South African media has been quite optimistic as of late at the news that most of South Africa''s maize and soy products will be grown from GM crops in future, with no mention of the potential dangers inherent in eating GM food.

Dear Kirsten
I have checked the new SA Food Labelling Regulations, Part 1, and so far not come across any mention of GM content. I believe that the declaration of GM content on food labels may fall under different legislation. We are also waiting for Part 2 of the new SA Food Labelling Regulations and I will have to see if the second part contains any details of GM content.

1

Dear Kirsten