Posted by: Mina | 2008-12-04

New employment

I found a job in one of the biggest firms in SA,its an excting feeling that growth will come my way, but I so scared everytime I come to work, it feels like I did not deserve the job. My employment background is that of small companies that exploits people and I got used to that nonsystematic environment. Here everything is taken into consideration and done properly.

And at first I felt that my boss is cold towards me but at the same time I feel like I am pulling myself down and everybody can see that.

Sometimes I would feel paranoia,hearing voices like you know you dont deserve that job.

Am I going through a phase or what? I am going crazy cos I dont know what' s wrong with me

Well, Mina, you must have thought that you MIGHt deserve the job, or you wouldn't have applied for it. And your employers, who could never have become such a big company nif they were stupid and bad at making such choices, obviously think you deserve it, or they would not have given it to you. Mabe youi're not used to working in a big organization or one that is run properly ! But DO use your medical aid to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment to put your mind at rest and to be sure that you are both well and capable. That way you'll either know what's wrong with you and how to fix it, or you'll kniow that there's nothing wrong with you.

Posted by: pl | 2008-12-05

I just want to say something Mina. Not all small companies exploit their employees. I worked for a very large company and then because of instability, I had to find a job elsewhere. I ended up at a consulting firm where I actually felt appreciated. I left to a big company and the day I walked in I noticed the difference - I was just another number etc etc

You are looking at it the wrong way - it is not you who is lucky to be employed by them but it is them that should be greatful to have you. Now, chin up and a little bit of confidence. You are going to need it working for such s company. If u dont exude confidence then my friend people are going to walk all over you

Reply to pl