Question
Posted by: Adel | 2008/10/30

New Drug: Ivabradine

Dear Cyber Doc,

My mom does not get any angina pain or attacks however her cardiologist now suggests that she takes the Ivabradine - her problem is blocked arteries and she has already had 2 bypasses and suffered a stroke with the last bypass. I am just wondering if it would be safe (my mom is 54 years old)

Hallo Adel
Ivabradine slows the heart down, giving the heartmuscle more time to get oxygen rich blood in, that could be the reason he suggested it - maybe he would not want to risk another bypass and there may be signs of oxygen starvation on her ECG?