Question
Posted by: Stephanie | 2009-01-23

New dog kennels - dogs not interested

I' ve just bought 2 kennels for my 2 9mth old Ridgeback x Wiemeraner. They are not interested in them, even though I' ve put treats and their food inside, they would rather go hungry than go inside. Are there any tricks I can try or should I just wait until they get cold enough to have to use them?

Dear Stephanie

Leave the treats in the kennel till they get hungry enough to go inside.

4
Posted by: WR | 2009-01-26

If they don' t care - you shouldn' t either. My 2 GSDs have got it all, spec-made wooden kennel, mats (carpet &  rubber) and the HAD a cushion...... nah, even in the rain, they prefer the grass..... right in front of the covered stoep.... and yes... anothe carpet &  bedding etc on the stoep for just in case too....! I' ve given up - the day I found my one male lounging very happily on the step in the pool at 2am in the middle of July... I realised that they are made of sterner stuff!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-23

My small dog uses the huge kennel only to eat his bones in - tail to the entrance, so that nobody can steal it from him.

Still, it looks pretty, with a big pot of petunias next to it....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-23

Mine look at kennels in absolute disdain....

Give up their cushions inside ????? never :)

Reply to Carol
Posted by: ANON | 2009-01-23

My Jack russels get a new bed for inside the house once a year, and they will not climb in it either - until I take a shirt or
two out of the washing basket of mine or my husbands, or our shoes or anything else that smells strongly of us, then I leave it in their bed and an hour or 2 later they climb in make themselves comfi, not sure if it will work with big dogs outside - but try it youre their parents, if the boxes have a little part of you in them then they feel at home...

Reply to ANON