Posted by: CandyB | 2009-03-23

New Diet

I am a 23 year old female. I weigh 90kg and I am 1.61m in length. I was diagnosed a week ago with metabolic syndrome. Due to my weight gain mostly around my stomach, high cholesterol and I have insulin resistance as well.
The endo I saw prescribed Actos and Crestor for me and I have started a low GI diet that I got from a dietician - cutting out sugar and fat as best I can.

I just have a few questions :

I am doing ok cutting out the sugar, I am just battling to find sugar free drinks that I can have during the day. I am not a big fan of diet drinks like Coke Zero as I do not like the taste of artificial sweetner, and I do not drink tea and coffee. I know friut juices are high in fructose but what friut juice would you recommend as one of the better juices to have, and what is the max amount that can be had daily of friut juice - if the goal is to lose weight and maintain sugar levels?

Cutting out the fat is what I am battling with, but I am using fat free yoghurt and milk now. As well cutting out fried foods, white bread and using olive oil and Flora Pro-activ. But is it ok to still have durum pasta and white tastic rice if it is in moderate amounts and only with the main meal of the day?

Lastly I have read that Actos and Crestor can cause weight gain, is this true and is there ways to prevent this? As my endo said with weight loss the metabolic syndrome can be reversed, so I am worried that even with the lowGI diet and exercise I wont be losing weight. He did prescribe Xenical - but I havent bought it yet as I wanted to see if I can lose the weight on my own first.

Thank-you in advance for taking the time to answer the questions. I am quiet nervous about the road ahead but it is comforting to have a place like the diet section to keep me on the right track and motivated.

Dear CandyB
Don't be nervous you can do this. Let's first answer your questions: 1) The problem with using fruit juices is that they are high in energy and sugars (glucose, fructose) - most of these juices contain approx. 200 kJ per 100 ml and about 12 g of sugars, which ironically is even more than sweetened cold drinks (they contain 167 kJ and 10g of sugars per 100 ml), so it is better not to use fruit juice as your sole drink. Have you ever tried drinking cold rooibos tea? It is refreshing and could be a zero kJ answer to your problem of drinks. Water, soda water and sparkling spring water without flavouring are also zero kJ options you can consider. 2) Durum pasta and white Tastic rice are low-GI foods, so you can certainly have them with small quantities of very lean meat or a tomato/vegetable sauce or tinned fish. 3) I checked in my copy of MIMS and only Actos lists possible weight gain as a side-effect, so you should be able to lose weight successfully if you reduce your energy and fat intake (for every gram of fat you avoid you reduce your energy intake by 37 kJ) and also start doing some form of daily exercise like going for a walk for 30 min a day. If you find that you are not losing steadily (i.e. 0,5 to 1 kg per week) then do consider the Xenical as it will assist with the weightloss.
Don't be intimidated - every journey starts with only one step and if you take this situation one step at a time you will start losing weight and be able to turn your metabolic syndrome around.
Holding thumbs