Question
Posted by: jen | 2010/05/21

new cat and old cat

We have taken in a stray cat that turned up at our house (we did look for its owners but no one ever claimed him) - about 2 months now. The thing is we already have a cat who is 9 years old. They aren''t fighting but she does occasionally hiss at the new cat. What I want to know is they often stand for long minutes just sniffing at each others noses. Does this mean they are making friends? Is it like dogs that sniff each others butts?

Thanks, Cybervet!

Hi Jen

I suspect that the cats are starting to adjust to each other. Cats are very territorial and it can take along time for adjustment. I would advise that you check your stray cat for FIV/Felv as these feline viruses can be transmitted to your own cat.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/05/22

Hi Jen

Reply to CyberVet