Posted by: lolo | 2011-06-02

new born 2 weeks old dont sleep

hi i was looking foward to be a happy mom but now things hv changed,my two wks old baby sleep nicely during the day but @ night is a struggle, she wakes up @ 23:00 daily n is like during the day for her she just dont want to sleep,i tried sleeping with her in my bed but stil is not working, she only sleep when i put her on my chest but is not good for me bcs u''l never know what hapens once u fall asleep n i''m afraid to endanger her aswell.

Ive tried bathing her late before we go to sleep but stil is not working,i hv since experienced this when i was stil preggies but prayed that when she comes out she must sleep but hei is not hapening. What should i do i desperately need help.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

One of the problems is that babies have a 1-hour sleep cycle. In other words, they will wake every hour. Moms, on the other hand, have a 90-minute sleep cycle. When she wakes after an hour, it seriously disrupts her sleep. and she feels terrible even if she has had many hours of sleep. The situation really only improves when the child learns that she can just roll over and go back to sleep, but that does not usually happen in less than 6 weeks.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, but it will take time.

In the meantime you might want to chat to your pediatrician to see if there is any specific advice he can give you in your particular case.

Hang in there - ultimately its worth it!