Question
Posted by: Woolly | 2010/02/01

New baby dogs urinating in house!

Dear Cybervet

I have a six week old baby and this morning got confirmation of something I have been suspecting for the last couple of weeks.

I discovered that (at least one... could be both) of my pugs are urinating in my house. This is completely out of the norm for them as they have never displayed this behaviour before.

I suspect that the new baby could have something to do with this behaviour as their noses are a bit out of joint with the new arrival. They are also used to being walked every day (something which has become impossible now). I try my level best and they walk every third day or so and I try to pay them attention, but it is a big challenge at the moment!

How can I stop them from weeing in my house?

Dear Woolly

You can use Footsack in the areas that they mark,have them neutered if not been done and keep them outdoors if you are not with them to monitor the behaviour.

2
Posted by: K | 2010/02/03

Dog’ s mark territory for numerous reasons –  with “ unfixed”  dogs being more of a culprit than dogs that have been spayed or neutered. Unless you are planning on breeding with your dogs, you may want to chat to you vet about getting the males neutered. Dogs also “ mark”  things that have strange smells or are new / unfamiliar, and finally another reason is separation anxiety (in this case new baby is causing them to miss you).

It sounds like with the new baby a whole lot of things are coming into play. You' re tying the best you can, and chances are they will settle down.

There are a few things you can do:
•  Clean the areas sprayed on with a product specifically formulated for removing pet stains and odours like Instaclean or Wash and Get Off Spray . The reason for this is that some household cleaning products annoy the dogs and thus attract them to mark the spot again to get rid of the smell (or contain ammonia (as does urine) and dogs see the need to urinate on top of that ammonia smell to mark it with their own smell).

•  Ensure that your dogs have sufficient toys at night and when you’ re not able to play with them, including activity toys and treat balls (a Kong stuffed with peanut butter works wonders with some dogs). One animal behavourist suggested to us to keep a toy box of different toys. You put all the toys into the box and let your dogs “ unpack”  the toys. You’ re basically looking for activities to keep them busy.

•  If they are marking a specific area, try using a Scraminal or Scatmat or even an indoor pet repellent to keep them away from common “ marking”  areas. There are other things you can do (like putting their water bowl in a common marking area, or putting tin foil on the objects they are marking –  but these only work on some dogs and not all)

•  The ideal of course is to “ catch them in the act”  and reprimand (and praise when you see them marking an acceptable spot outdoors –  not always possible )

You may want to get them checked out by your vet as small puddles are sometimes caused by something as simple as a bladder infection.

Reply to K
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/02/01

Dear Woolly

Reply to Cybervet