Posted by: Sammi | 2009-03-16

New addition

Hi doc

Last week whilst sitting at the office, a dog (cross sausage dog/doberman pincher-like) came into the office I share with 4 other people. She walked to my desk and got herself comfortable underneath my desk. We immediately made friends, and when it was time to go home, she followed me to my car. I tried shoe-ing her away, but she wouldn' t hear, just layed down and shivered each time. When I opened my car door she jumped in and that was it, I couldn' t get her out.
So she landed up going home with me. I have had her now for 5 days, and she follows me everywhere. She sleeps inside the house (on the bed), looks well fed, she' s fully house trained (what a bargain!), and has a stunning personality.
She had to have belonged to someone, and I' m sure someone out there is missing her terribly. I reported it to the local SPCA, and put the word out at local shops etc, but nobody has claimed her yet.
Thing is, I' m battling to get her to eat. I don' t know what her owner gave her to eat, but I have tried pellets, soft tinned food (3 diff brands), meat and a couple of other things, but she sniffs it, has a tiny taste and pulls up her nose. What do I do to get her to eat? I' m worried she might starve to death if she doesn' t eat.

Dear Sammy

put good quality dry and wet food down and the rest is up to her.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-17

What' s wrong with little jerseys?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Sammi | 2009-03-17

I AM doing every effort to find her owner, I have gone out of my way, advertising on bulletin boards at every shop, contacted our local radio station - Vaal Community Radio who announced it on air, contacting the SPCA regularly - the SPCA scanned for a microchip, she doesn' t have one, but if I don' t find the owner, so be it.
Chill, you trying to make me sound like some old aunty who has already knitted little jerseys for the dog and let her sleep on a pillow covered in imported silk.
I am simply a 30 year old animal lover, who is concerned about the dog. And yes, I AM fussing over her getting something in her stomach, because I actually inherited my late gran' s dog 2 years ago, who died due to starvation mourning the absense of her owner - and left me mourning my grandmother AND her dog who I became very attached to when my gran was still alive.

Reply to Sammi
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-16

First, please make every effort to find her owners - they may be highly stressed about her disappearance. Take her to a vet to be scanned for a microchip - there should be no charge for this. Advertise in the paper, under ' Found'  - this is also free.

Second, do not stress about the food - no healthy dog will ever starve to death in the presence of anything edible. Just give her pellets, and stop fussing - when she' s hungry, she will eat. Do not hover over her to watch - leave her in peace  some dogs won' t eat in company.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: anon | 2009-03-16

maybe she' s beenspoilt with the Hills or Royal Canin brand.. my friend' s dog refuses to eat anything else but his royal canin!

Reply to anon