Posted by: DW | 2009-07-30

never satisfied

Hi Doc. I eat 6 meals a day, but never seem to get full. I will have a meal and straight away start thinking of what else I can eat. I gym 2x per day, but I need to with the amount of food I eat. Is this normal?

Dear DW
If you gym twice a day then you are presumably using a great deal of energy and that will make you hungry. You don't mention if you are a man or a woman, but generally speaking doing say 2 x 30 min of exercise a day will push up your energy requirement to approx. 9000 kJ/day for women and 10000 or more kJ/day for men. If your diet is not providing this amount of energy and also not enough carbohydrates, then you will constantly be hungry. Increase your carb intake using carbs with a low glycaemic index (GI) as these will keep you feeling satisfied for longer. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women', esp those on energy requirement, carbs and carbo-loading.