Question
Posted by: Sensible | 2010/11/02

Never excited, never depressed, just mild

Dear Prof
I would like to find out if you have a " name"  or " term"  or " category" for people like me. I am always calm, no matter the circumstances. I recently tested positive for HIV (June 2010) but I have never felt sad or depressed about it. I just followed the doctor''s orders to start the ARV programme (my CD4 count was 40 but never felt sick. Only checked because of the government''s HIV drive in June/July). I told my partner of 3 years about it. Last week he surprisingly proposed marriage. Still, I am not excited about it. Just okay. At family or friends'' funerals I don''t cry. I feel sad but not like everyone else. I seem to take things like breeze. I have the " it doesn''t matter"  attitude. I always get a lot of praises from my superiors at work because I am extremely hardworking but still I don''t tell anyone because I think " it''s not a big deal" . I write children books and I get praises for my writing skills but I feel " what is the fuss about?" . Do you have a medical term for this? Or is the Chinese Zodias thing real? I am a rabbit and when I read the characteristics, I am a typical example. Just thought I should know.

Sensible might indeed be an appropriate label, if you feel a need to be labelled. Mature. Practical. Calm.
Sounds like an agreeable and useful way of being, which doesn't need any faith in Chinese or other zosiacs to explain it. Compared to others who are jumpy, irritable, easily startled and over-emotional, it's far more useful.
There are a wide range of types of personality. The criterion we usually use for deciding whether someone's personality ( or a possible illness added to it ) could be a disorder and need treatment, are does this state interfere with the person's ability to enjoy and be productive - in work, or in their social and emotional life ? If not, there's no disorder, and no grounds for intervention

2
Posted by: zeezee | 2010/11/03

LUCKY? Stable? balanced?

Reply to zeezee