Question
Posted by: in trouble | 2010/02/10

never ending dreams

hi Doctor please help me i am constantly tired becos i dream everyday, not so good dreams always sad dreams and long everyday i dream and i want to relax my brains since i sufer from depression and also take cipralax and laminctin 1 of each every day before them i was experiencing this even after i take them it still happens this is not fair to me, i now take spirulina, marcus rohner to go through the day , so that i can cope at work and at home, i need help
i also have this problem of waking up with straches on my body on my back on places i cannot scratch and normally on my wrist and it does not look good it looks so thin my nails cant do that at all since i dont have them anyway, i need to rest i am only 26 but i look like i am 35. please help me,

There is a good deal of good scientific research into dreams. But people who appoint themselves as "dream analysts" or insist they know the hidden meaning of dreams, are quacks, inventing or copying myths and legends.
Our brain needs to dream - when people are experimentally deprived of dreaming sleep, they grow more unwell. But under various circumstances, we dream more than usual, and as this is a very active form of sleep, we may also be more tired in the morning if we dream more than is needed.
Depression significantly affects sleep and dreaming, as do antidepressants and a number of other drugs. One should discuss one's own specific situation with the shrink, who can assess it i the light of broader knowledge about you.
The greatest proportion of dreams ( we can tell on an EEG when someone is dreaming ) are not remembered at all - it is the dreams ocurring just as one is waking up, or those which wake us, which we tend to recall.
Dreams often have emotional tone and content, which may reflect one's general emotional tone, though in a more visual and dramatic way.
Although we are familiar with nightmares, upseting dreams in which we wake feeling scared, there can be other emotioanl arousals from dreams - such as sadness, or anger. Occasionally, I have even woken from a dream roaring with laughter !
Your scratches are puzzling. They could, obviously, be self-inflincted, perhaps related to the dream content, except that you say they are also found on your back where you could not reach, asleep or awake.
You don't mention whether you sleep alone. IIf someone else sleeps in your room, they could report on whether you are active at night - variations on sleep-waling occur, in which piotentially you might get scratched. I at times wake with fresh scratches, but those arise because my cat insists on sleeping with me, and in her dreams or just when feeling luxuriantly droway and happy, she may scratch me wioth absolutely no hostile intent, but I bear the scars to show for it !

3
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/11

You say that you' re on Lamictin - I used it for a while. It worked really well for me - except that for some reason I would remember my dreams a lot more vividly than before. When I stopped the Lamictin - the dreams stopped too. If the dreams are really bothering you, there must be something else you can use instead of the Lamictin. This will best be discussed with your prescribing doctor.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Going Crazy | 2010/02/10

You' re possessed! Just joking. Could you be sleepwalking and maybe hurting yourself this way?

I am curious to hear what doc say about the dreams though. I tend to have dreams where I feel this sadness and often cry in my dreams. My husband has even shook me awake once as I was sobbing and had tears even though asleep. I have also dreamt a few times of trying to hide in a house or building from people who would kill or harm me if i was found. I sometimes feel like a soldier running away from the enemy, trying to hide.

Doc, am I that depressed and just don' t know it??? Know anyone that analyzes dreams?

Reply to Going Crazy