Question
Posted by: Marli | 2010/04/14

Never Ending Barking Dog

Hi, Our Dog, a " Border Collie"  which we bought 2 years ago and to which we received papers that she is Pure Bred, turned out she wasn''t a Pure Bred Dog afterall. Problem we have is that she Never Ever Stops Barking! We are absolutely fed up and nothing seems to work. I have talked nice, I have begged, for every unneccassary bark she gives, I tied her up for 3 minutes (like a naughty corner), and now I tell her to stop and then throw her with water. Please give some advice, we love her very much, but really, even the nabours complain. Tx

Dear Marli

This you need to sort out with a behaviourist but Border Collies are barkers!

5
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/16

Dear Marli

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Marli | 2010/04/15

Thank you for the advise. We have a very big yard and she runs around alot. The little Jacky also keeps her busy. They are best mates. But I think you might be right, we need to take her to the park, and go jogging or something.
To Janice: Our dog is very very much loved. We can t have children, so our 2 dogs are everything to us! Except for the fact that she might be bored, she gets a lot of love, attention and affection. I work from home, so I am in the garden during the day where I play with them. So please do not presume to tell me that I should not have a dog! Also - the advise I got of the water, was from the internet on a Dog behaviour website! To everyone else - Thank you.......

Reply to Marli
Posted by: Collie owner | 2010/04/14

Your dog is bored. Collies are working dogs that needs a lot of exercise (even if they are just part-collie. Do you take her out for walks or do some training with her?

I won''t advise the water either, my collies LOVE water. Try to get a book on basic collie training or join a club or puppy school.
And spend more time with her.

Reply to Collie owner
Posted by: Janice | 2010/04/14

You should not own a dog,, maybe she is trying to you that!!!

Reply to Janice
Posted by: Cindy | 2010/04/14

Why don''t you contact an animal behaviourist? They should be able to give good advice. Border collies need a huge amount of exercise as they are working dogs. That might saolve part of the problem. Former collie owner.

Reply to Cindy