Posted by: Gogga | 2009-05-05

neutered too young?

Doc, is there a risk in neutering a male cat too young? Rescued kitten, resembling a Maine Coon, is so huge that the vet snipped him, thinking it was a much older cat but according to the teeth he' s only about 3 months old. Can the early snip be harmful for his development?
Also, does a Coon kitten need special food or would ordinary Hills Kitten be good enough? I' ve seen special Coon food from Royal Canin but not sure if it' s necessary.

Dear Gogga

Very small risk of a narrow urethra at the end of the penis but in a big cat not a problem. Hills kitten is one of the best. You can consider Maine Coon food at a year old.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-05

I' ll be interested in the response to this - but did that vet only check out the kitten' s age after the snip?

Sounds a tad careless to me - unless the answer is that it doesn' t matter.

Reply to Chill