Question
Posted by: Melissa | 2011-09-20

Neutered dogs with raging hormones???

Hi. I have a male 4 year old daschund and a female staffie(Just slightly younger). They were both neutered/spayed as pups. They are best friends and have always played nicely together. Lately, their play seems to always turn into more of a " hot and heavy" session. Initially, the daschund would get all " excited/frenzied"  and try to hump the staffie(albeit her head :)). I just put this down to boys being boys. What surprised me last week however, was that I caught my staffie pulling the moves on him!! I''m quite shocked at this latest behaviour and wonder why the sudden interest/ change, esp. since they''ve both been spayed/neutered. Is this normal? Feeling like my innocent pups are not so innocent anymore :)

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Melissa, sometimes dogs engage in this sort of behaviour due to stress or boredom. Have things changed around the home? are there new neighbours? has somebody in the family ben sick or you have been away from home more? etc, etc.
What I would suggest is to up the daily exercise a bit and give them new varied chew toys to play with. This should distract them from the behaviour. Try this and see how it goes, thanks Scotty

3
Posted by: scotty | 2011-09-27

Hi, congratulations! It could well be that this is what the dogs are picking up on. If you have a look at my info you will find my Friends of the Dog website address and there are articles there that will give you info on how to prepare your dogs for the new arrival. Good luck!

Reply to scotty
Posted by: Melissa | 2011-09-22

Thanks Scotty. Will give it a try. I am just recently pregnant actually. Maybe they''re sensing that?

Reply to Melissa
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-09-21

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert