Question
Posted by: Carmen | 2013-01-30

Neuted Jack Russell marks all over house

My 11 year old Jack Russell after being neuted still pee against every thing from curtains to pillows on my bed. He has done it always but it seems to be getting worse. What can I do as I have used sprays etc

Probably the single most effective thing you can do to help your dog resist urine marking inside your home is to have your veterinarian neuter him prior to his forming this habit. At least one study has shown that neutering a dog at any age will help, so it seems that the testosterone of being intact plays a role in urine marking.
Neutering however, does not eliminate the need for training and management, though, particularly if the habit of urine marking has become strongly formed prior to the surgery. No one can guarantee that neutering a dog is going to magically cure this problem.
A male dog is highly likely to urine mark in the presence of a female dog in heat, possibly even quite a distance away. He's also highly likely to urine mark where another dog has urinated inside your home, whether that dog is male or female.
Don't punish your dog. Dogs do not learn housetraining from punishment. If you supervise properly, you may catch a dog having an accident. In that case, interrupt the dog with a "No, let's go outside," and RUSH out the door with the dog. For success outside, give excited praise and sometimes a treat.