Posted by: BI | 2009-06-01

Neurontin - weight gain?

Hi there.
Subject line says it all...
Does Neurontin make you put on weight?
I need to be on it before my lamictin kicks in BUT I' m seriously decideing between " skinny and crazy"  or " fat and calm" ...?
The former is taking preference right now!
(I' m so vain, but hey, seriously... I just don' t want to get really large if I don' t have to).

Hi BI,
Neurontin, chemical name is Gbapentin. It is used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder, and, like other mood-stabilizing drugs, also to treat epilepsy. Your p[rescribing doctor should hav discussed all likely side-effects to you when giving you the prescription, and your pharmacist should have provided the same information when filling the prescription, and also should have given you a leaflet, the Package Insert, containing the same information.
Drowsiness and dizziness are probably more common side-effects, and a wide-range of possible side-effects MAY occur, though none are compulsory --- blurred vision, clumsiness, constipation, diarrhoea,nausea, dry mouth, and, yes, possible weight gain. ( but its uncommon ). Discus this with your doctor, as the choices need not be as stark as you seem to see them, and careful diet and increased exercise can usually control the weight gain.