Posted by: nandigal | 2009-02-18

I have had headaches for 2 weeks now. have seen a neurologist before and he said something about sphenoid sinusites. should I see such a doctor again. he prescribed medication but lately I haven' t been responding to the medication. please help with any advice. 082 545 9620

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Nandigal,

Although the sinuses can play a part in the headache process, it is not nearly as common as people think. Research from headache clinics throughout the world shows that “sinus headache” is the most common misdiagnosis. Just because the pain is in the area of the sinuses, or because the patient has a post-nasal drip or blocked nose when the headache strikes, doesn’t mean that the sinuses are responsible. In fact what often happens is that when the underlying cause of the headache is treated, the sinus problems often clear up.
Unless the diagnosis has been confirmed with what is called a ‘limited CT scan’, then it remains just a guess, and one cannot base one’s treatment on that.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

Posted by: Thandi | 2009-03-06

I been having headaches everyday when I wake up until I have gone to the x-ray and I have found out my spinal cord is bunded ,now sometimes I notice that there is something that moves in my head as if there is a moving cold thing.

Reply to Thandi