Question
Posted by: Anne | 2008/09/08

Neuralgia causing ear pain in MS patient

Dear Doc

I developed OPTIC NEURITIS as a result of MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS in mid-August and was hospitalized for cortisone treatment in late August 2008.

In addition to having severe intermittent pain in my right eye, I also had severe intermittent rhythmic pain in my right ear, which I thought was probably due to an ear infection. I took SOFRADEX drops for the ear pain for about 2 or 3 weeks but the pain continued. On Saturday 6th September 2008 I saw the GP and told him that the SOFRADEX was not working. He examined my ear but couldn’ t see any obvious signs of infection (I think). However, he prescribed a more potent antibiotic, namely CIPROBAY HC OTIC DROPS. This is not helping at all either and last night I got very little sleep as a result of pain. It is like having shingles, I’ m afraid.

The only conclusion I can come to is that maybe I don’ t have an ear infection after all. Maybe it is NEURALGIA triggered by the same agent that triggered the OPTIC NEURITIS. Is this possible?

Anne

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Anne,
Always consult/liase with your neurologist regarding treatment related to your multiple sclerosis.

Consider temperomandibular joint dysfunction for your ear pain. Consult an osteopath to have this evaluated. For more information on osteopathy visit www.osteogoodhealth.com

The optic nerve and the nerves to the ear are unrelated so related neuralgia is unlikely. Difficult to give full feedback without full examination and history. The pain you described in your ear is not a normal feature of MS associated symptoms.

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath