Posted by: Clara | 2011-07-21

Hi, my housekeeper/childminder has been diagnosed with trigenic neuralgia. She''s 63, but healthy and I''m very fond of her and want to help in any way. My dilemma is that she looks after my 19 month old child during creche holidays (a month in December and a week in October coming up)and when baby has a minor illness/cold etc. I don''t know much about neuralgia other than that its very painful and comes and goes. In your opinion, is it safe for someone who has this kind of illness to take care of a child? I don''t want to take any chances with my child''s well-being but also want to be fair to my housekeeper.

Yes, I do think that you can leave your child in her care, as trigeminal neuralgia can be controlled with medication, like Neurontin. Please refer to the following link for detailed information about this condition: