Posted by: BMJ | 2010-07-26

Neti Pot

Dear Doc

I suffer from sinusitus and frequenlty have a stuffy nose. I do use a cortisone spray daily - but often find at night when I lie down I cant breathe through my nose. A friend bought me a devise called a Neti Pot which basically looks like a mix between a genie lamp and a tea pot. The idea is that you mix a mild solution of salt and bicarb in lukewarm water, put the spout in your nostril and tilt your head. The solution floods and rinses your sinus cavaties.

I have found prfound relief from nasal stuffiness and have been able to sleep with a closed mouth for the first time in years. Have you ever heard of this and if you have, is there any side effects I should be aware of. I rinse my nose 2 x a week at the moment.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear BMJ

Your solution to your problem is well known, and has been for many years. It is perfectly safe, and may be used as often as needed. Your treatment is thinning the secretions from the sinonasal cavity, thus allowing easier drainage. Your solution should be one teaspoon of salt and bicarb in 500ml of water.
Continue your cortisone spray, as it is reducing the effect of inflammatory mediaters on the nasal mucosa.