Question
Posted by: Liane | 2010/04/25

Netball

So something happened to me during a match this saturday that''s never happened before. I had to come off halftime because I had trouble catching my breath. I actually felt as though I was going to vomit and pass out. I am an active person although i haven''t been able to get to gym more than 2 or 3 times a week lately due to work. Could it be that I have become so unfit?? I''ve also had excessive mucus at the back of my throat (I do not know if it is at all related but I am mentioning it) for a while now. I try and fit a 10km race in once a month and did a 21km last month (although I can''t run the whole way). I do spinnning once a week and weights once a week. The mucus has been making it more difficult than normal to breathe while exercising. I also have a persistent cough and it gets so bad that I sometimes wake myself up at night. I don''t want to the doctor if it isn''t necessary because, frankly, I just don''t have money to waste on tests and things (no medical aid). Should I cut out some types of foods? Or maybe just train more? Thank you!

Hi Liane

Could be an allergy? Could be the start of illness, maybe a chest infection? I guess by the time you read this, you'll know about that.

You certainly wouldn't lose fitness that quickly, especially if you are training a few times a week. And you're able to run for an hour, that would suggest that you are fit enough to get through a game without losing your breath.

So my thinking is that it's a once-off, random event that you need not worry too much about. The sinus problem also suggests an allergy - maybe the change of season, the dampness, who knows? You'll have to see what happens in future.

If it does happen again, and if that cough doesn't go away, then yes, I woudl suggest seeing a doctor. For all you know, you may have TB, and you need medication.

So see how it unfolds, and then seek medical advice if it doesn't go away. But I doubt very much that it's fitness related, but rather medical.

2
Posted by: Liane | 2010/05/03

thank you! it wasn''t a chest infection and the cough has gone away again (my body is strange....)

i did however do a fitness test at the gym and i am sad to say that my resting heart rate has gone from 58 bpm (december 2009) to a shocking 67 bpm (last week). so my fitness has really gone down the drain. i will have to make an effort to train harder again!!

Reply to Liane
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/04/30

Hi Liane

Reply to fitnessdoc