Question
Posted by: Worried Lady | 2008/08/11

Nervous tics after encaphalitis

I had encaphalitis about two months ago, the bacterial kind, I am over the headaches now and I' m not really experiencing much pain and after effects - except for a tic I seem to have developed. It happens constantly, I can' t say how often, but it is at least 5 - 10 times a minute when I' m awake...I have no control over it (well, i try and turn my head away from people I' m talking to) sometimes it even takes over and lasts for a minute non stop. It is very embarassing because I know people can see it and no one says anything...I have tried to control it, but that' s when it really becomes bad and I have to leave the room so as not to embarass myself. Is this a side effect of the encaphaltis? Is there something i can do to stop it?

This isn't a recognized effect of encephalitis, though it might be related. The best p[erson to evaluate this and advise on dealing with it, would be the doc who treated the encephalitis. If it is simply a bad habit that has developed at this time, CBT can help one to unlearn habits.