Posted by: Leila | 2013-02-06

Nervous tick

My 6 yr old son is a happy, fairly confident little boy. He is loved by all at home and such a joy to have. I have noticed that last year he would pick up these nervous ticks. Everytime I would notice it there was normally a little incident at school. He is in a new class, new teacher this year and a week ago I noticed he had a new tick. The teacher called to tell me that she had been quite firm with him a week ago. They seem to go away on there own. How do we address this?

Its probably worthwhile for him to be seen and assessed by a child psychologist to assess the tics ; some are fairly brief, don't indicate any other problems, and will face ; others become a longer-lasting habit. Many can be helped by fairly simple treatment.
And as JLee so valuably points out, where a child likes himself and is comfortable with himself, others usually accept things like tics, and they can become or surprisingly little significance.

Posted by: Leila | 2013-02-07

Thank you for your lovely story JLee

Reply to Leila
Posted by: JLee | 2013-02-07

Hi Leila
My son is 16 years old and when he started school he had the same type of presentation. We were so worried that we took him to the paediatrician, read up all different literature on the internet etc. But you know what? His friends didn''t care - in fact some of them didn''t even notice and those who did said ''Oh that''s just the way he is''. He still has a tic every now and then. We addressed this with him because there was medication to stop it but it would have affected his concentration and energy level. At 8 years he was intelligent enough to understand (do you find that your son also has above average understanding of certain issues?) so he decided that he would rather live with it than be slower academically. He is a good sportsman. Next week we are invited to the schools top 10 presentations as he will be awarded. And he still has a tic. He has good friends. Girls who like him. He is well-balanced. and we have loved him as he is, irrespective.

All the best.

Reply to JLee