Question
Posted by: Kathy | 2011-02-14

Nervous Dog

I have a 1 1/2 year old dog who I have had since a pup.She has always been a very fearful dog, so much so that I had her on tranqualisers for a while to try and take the edge off. Didn''t work! My problem is that she is a very energetic dog who desperately needs excersie. But I really battle to walk her. Apart from the constant darting around, she takes fright at everything. She is very terrified of other dogs and then she becomes agressive. She also becomes so scared that it is almost like she shuts down and then wants to run (I have to walk her with a half choke and a harness because she just escapes so easily) I am peservering with the walking, but I can''t see any difference and it is just not pleasant for either one of us. I just really want her to enjoy her walks and being with other dogs. Any suggestions for a pleasant fear free walk will be so welcome

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kathy, it is so terrible to see a dog behave like this, especially you are doing all you can to help her! There is a solution, and i really would suggest TTouch. I have worked with countless dogs with fear issues and this modality really does make a difference. Have a look at their website to find a practitioner near you that can help. What i would do in-between is try and take it slowly and start from the beginning again. Start to walk her up and down your driveway,when she is happy with this, go through the gate and one or two steps into the street, then return. Gradually build up the distance and always work with 'where she is at' so that she doesnt stress. Good luck and do let me know how you do, thanks Scotty

3
Posted by: Scotty | 2011-02-15

Hi GD Mom, lovely to see you here again, and, giving such good advice! Take care, Scotty

Reply to Scotty
Posted by: GD Mom | 2011-02-15

HI Kathy - when I saw the title of your post I immediately thought TTouch! it really worked for my 3 year old anxious great dane! I also walk her on a halti which works very well.

Reply to GD Mom
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-02-15

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert