Posted by: Nerved Out | 2008-11-11

Nervous Breakdown

Dear Cybershrink

I wrote to you yesterday about the deterioration of my 11 year relationship and the tremendous stress leading up to this.

I think I have had a nervous breakdown and am medicated up to the hilt.

How would I know this for sure and what is the treatment?

I am planning to go for counselling at Hope House in Cape Town and am already on medication.

The way I feel is obvious to others and my own mother mentioned I am on the verge.

But I want your professional opinion.

Is it when you just can' t stop crying unless you are medicated?

I think it may have happened a while ago and I am untreated.

What comes after that PTS?

Please be as descriptive as you can.
Thank you for your time.

Actually, there's no such specific thing as a "nervous breakdown" --- like "crisis" its a general description of a situation in which you feel temporarily unable to cope well. What one needs is to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment and diagnosis, as only then can the right treatment be tried. Unfortunately, sometimes in crisis you get started on one, then another med, and accumulate a pile of meds which might not be best suited to your actual needs.
What you have been going through is obviously unpleasant, but not what would lead to PTSD. A proper diagnosis, and treatmend based on that, should help things to get back to normal before long. Crying is what we do when we feel distressed. Some medications are like alcohol in that they may make us more likely to cry, some don't.