Question
Posted by: Sally | 2011/07/15

Nervous and scared dog

My dog is totally neurotic. She is nervous and scared and does not like loud noises. She''''s afraid of other dogs and people. She is also very clingy. She sits with me in the bathroom while I’  m having a bath and almost never leave me alone. I think it is getting worse. I have a little one year old - when she climbs onto my lap - the dog also wants to get on my lap. When I’  m feeding little one - the dog almost sits on top of my baby. I''''m getting so tired of this. And I’  m not sure what to do. She is almost 3 years old and has been spayed. She is a fox-terrier. Any advice?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Sally, you need to sort out this behaviour as soon as possible otherwise it will worsen and you will end up with seperatin anxiety, which, trust me, is not somewhwere you want to go!
It sounds like she does have fear issues and due to this I would recommend that not only do you seek behaviour advice, but also get hold of somebody that does TTouch which will really help her to overcome her fears. Have a look at www.animal-behaviour.org.za for a behaviourist and www.ttouch.co.za for help on that side. If you cant find anybody in your area 9preferabley somebody that does both), please contact me via my e-mail and let me know where you live and I will endeavour to put you in touch with somebody. Thanks Scotty

3
Posted by: KB | 2011/08/01

I rescued a Jack Russel with the same issue and heard that if I take him for walks regularly that this will encourage growth mentally and will assist in development. It is now a few months down the line and I am seeing a great improvement. He used to be scared of the noise that any electronic devices make and he is over that completely. He would crouch or run away from me if I sneezed, but now he just stares at me unflinchingly. When I took him for walks initially, he would walk in a crouched stance and be very weary of everything. If there was a new mole hill or object on our route, he would stop and want to turn around and go home again. I would have to carry him passed the offending object if it was too much for him or approach it with him and touch it and then get him to sniff it out and get comfortable with it. He now walks confidently and seeks out new routes himself without fear. I try to change our route from time to time to keep the challenge and he keeps taking it well. When we used go out, then he tries to run out the door before we can stop him and then crouches and would pee himself if we took him inside. So major separation anxiety was present. We try to not make a big thing of leaving now and make sure he is comfortable in his bed or even in our bedroom now as he does not make a mess in the house at all now and I have a little dogie door open for him 24/7, so he has access to the outside to do his business.

Reply to KB
Posted by: Patricia | 2011/07/27

I have a jack-russel and it is very active, I think it is lonely because it is left alone during the day.

Reply to Patricia
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/18

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert