Posted by: Frikkadel | 2009-08-31

Nervous and anxious staffie

Our staffie is almost 3 years old now. For the past 6-8 months he is acting very weird. He gets very nervous and anxious every time we just talk a little to hard with somebody in the house. Even when me and my husband is sitting at the table and talking to each other, he comes and sits between us as if he want to protect one of us.It happens that I have to raise my voice and then yell if our child do not listen. He gets so nervous that he tries to jump over the fench and yesterday did it again. He have several cuts over his body as he tried to get over the fench. He is a really beautiful and intelligent dog. I' m just afraid that he might bite one of us or a family member. Please give me some advise. What is the correct amount of pellets to feed a dog. He weighs about 20 kg. We feed him Vets Choice and Pedigree pellets.

Dear Frikkadel

Read on the bag how much you should feed him. I have seen Staffies with this kind of behaviour with no underlying cause. You can try a DAP diffuser.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-31

It sounds like something or someone has seriously upset or abused your dog. It also sounds like maybe there' s a lot of yelling going on around him - you may want to contemplate this, because it doesn' t work with dogs, and also not with kids - you have to get smarter than that.

I don' t know what to tell you to do about the dog' s fears - there is no quick fix, except maybe to find him a home which is more tranquil and peaceful for him, and where he won' t feel so threatened. It sounds to me like he is in fear of his life and that is no way for a dog to be.

You are quite right to be concerned about him biting someone - a frightened dog has no defenses, and if he' s scared enough, he will want to defend himself.

As far as the food is concerned - unless he' s a particularly greedy dog, let him decide for himself how much he wants to eat. A pedigreed male staffie should weigh somewhere between 13 and 17 kg - if he is overweight for his height, then cut down his food gradually, until he reaches the correct weight. To judge this - you should be able to FEEL his ribs, but not see them.

Reply to Chill