Posted by: Fancy | 2009-01-27

Hi doc, I need some help please. I' m not an outspoken person and tend to get very nervous when I' m in a group of people or for example in a meeting that I have to participate in, I just cant speak, it feels like I go completely blank and can' t find the words to even ask a question.Even when someone say something not very kind to me or about me in my presence I can' t respond, I just don' t know what to say back or how to say what I' m feeling at that moment, I just want to hide somewhere.Please help as this is holding me back in my work situation as well as socially.What do I need to do, or where should I go for help.
Thanks for your help!

Many people feel the same way when they need to speak up or perform in some way in front of an audience --- its related to social anxiety disorder, and responds very well indeed to fairly brief treatment wioth Cognitive-Behaviour Disorder ( CBT ). It will help you not just to feel confident to function in such situations when you need to, but to feel fine when being observed or even evaluated by others. Any good shrink shopuld be able to help or at least to link your to a competent CBT counsellor min your area --- and the anxiety/depression support group ( number on this page ) lists many such practitioners

Posted by: TMan | 2009-01-27

Hi Fancy,

I know where you are coming from cos I am fighting the same battle, social anxiety. Meetings, social functions, driving, walking at malls, even interviews are a problem for me. Where I used to work previous we had to work at various clients, do presentations and I must tell it was such a torture, for five years I went through this and I eventually left that profession and settled for something else,where I was less exposed. Even my best friends are like that, I guesse I can say I have been like this from chilhood. I have also tried some pills, bought them at Cliks and normally drank them before I do presentation or any other function that involves strangers or a lot of people. Other than that have not tried anything else.

Reply to TMan
Posted by: Latoya | 2009-01-27

Hi Fancy, CS is right, it happens with a lot of people, i have seen people in snr position, trembling when they have to speak, they get nervous ending up with them not knowing what to say. i had to face this disorder head on, because i am in a position where i have to do presentation, at first it was hard, i never thought i would be able to speak, i drank lots of water before i did that, but it did not help, somebody told me that everytime i face that situation and i have to speak, i need to get remedy blue, or some pills i forgot the name they oppress the anxiety.
will email back with the name of the pill.

Reply to Latoya