Posted by: Christa | 2012-11-12

Nerve pains

Hi doc! Due to dancing exercise I get like " electrical shocks"  in the soft tissues around my anckles. It is intermittend and spreads to my left upper thigh. It is really painfull when it occurs but luckily the pain don''t lasts, it comes and goes. Can it be nerve damage of some sort?

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Thank you for your e-mail. It could be nerve related but it could also be caused by abnormal biomechanics of the ankle. It is very difficult to make a diagnosis and suggest treatment without doing a proper assessment. I would suggest that you go and see a biokinetisist for an assessment or a podiatrist with a special interest in biomechanics. Contact the Podiatry Association or South Africa for your nearest podiatrist. or 0861 100 249