Question
Posted by: anon | 2010-09-07

Nerve Pain

Dear Dr. What really makes me angry about medicine and doctors is that they do not tell us patients that medications can cause nerve damage and nerve pain. If I had the money I would really try to follow Patrick holfords nutitional approach. I have severe nerve pain from medication and when you try stop the medication, they may as well throw me in a loony bin. I have dealt with many side effects and the benefits of the medication were better than side effects. Now all of a sudden I get nerve pain. How on earth is my docotr going to find out which one it is, because I am on so many, without going through expensive tests and hospitalization. This is exactly what Patrick Holford was talking about in his book. Drugs poison your body and when something goes wrong the doctors just leave you to suffer. I am very disappointed with the medical community for not warning us about potential ADDICTION and damage caused by medications. Absolutely rediculous.

So sorry to hear of yout unfortunate experiences so far.
Interestingly, Patrick's sister is a distinguished and orthodox psychiatrist practising in South Africa. I still wait to be convinced that Patrick's claims are backed by any good research to prove that things are as he says, or that they do not themselves ever have unwanted effects.
Yes, doctors often forget to sufficiently inform patients about risks and benefits of medications, or about potential addiction problems. I wish this was not so

1