Posted by: Kate | 2012-06-25

Nerve Damage

Hi Doc.

Would appreciate your response problem.
I''ve just turned 29 and have since the beginning of this year have been experiencing pain, burning, numbness, tingling, pins and needles in my left foot.
At 1 time my foot went totally numb and this lasted for 2weeks.
Went to the doctor the first week and he told me to give it another week. From then on I got it on and off.

For the past month now I''ve had it every day, this pins &  needles sensation and its moved up to my left leg and left arm.
Problem is I kept ignoring it, fearing the worst and hoping it would just disappear. I''ve read up about it and have come to the conclusion that I have Neuropathy. From what I see there''s nothing really that can be done to fix this problem and eventually this will prob. lead to total numbness.

I will make an appointment at the Neurologist asap but I''m just so afraid to hear what I think I know it is.
Any advise/confirmation?

Neuropathic disease can be due to irritation of the nerves supplying your legs and arms with sensation. Severe muscle spasm of the lower back and neck muscles can be a cause for your symptoms. Other factors like diabetes, Vitamin B deficiency and hypothyroidism will also have to be excluded. Please do not be afraid, as neuropathic disease can be treated and a neurologist will be able to assist you.

Posted by: Kate | 2012-06-25

Flippen hell! The neurologist charges R1000 for a consultation...
He also does not accept medical aid and the is only one where I am. I cant afford this! Not even after I get paid lol
What is one to do? I''ve never gone to gov. hospital yet but I''ve heard that you have to wait months fo an appointment...
What to do?

Reply to Kate