Question
Posted by: Birdy | 2010/07/22

Nerve damage

My dad has been shot in his lower back a few years ago in a farm attack. The bullets severed his nerves in the pelvic area. He lost control of his right foot and is wearing a brace on it to keep it steady and to help with walking. The blood circulation is also compromised in his leg, which leaves his leg constantly cold. He is living in constant pain.

We heard that there is a doctor in Nelspruit area that works with people with Nerve Damage that can possibly help in repairing the nerves in his back. Is there any chance that you could help in finding this doctor or someone else that could help my dad? My parents do not have a medical aid.

Dear Birdy
I am not aware of anyone specific but if there is, it would be a neurologist or neurosurgeon. If they don't have a medical aid, I would suggest you ask for a referral to the Neurology department at Steve Biko or Charlotte Maxeke academic hospitals to see a specialist. An operation may be very costly.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/07/22

Dear Birdy