Question
Posted by: Keen | 2008/06/20

Nerve damage

Hi doc

Are there any AD's that is scientifically known to cause nerve damage? I know from package inserts that the tricyclics can cause peripheral neuropathy, but what about the SSRI's? Do you have any personal experience with AD's and nerve problems?

Keen

I haven't come across problems with antidepressants causing nerve damage, and indeed antidepressants, including tricyclics can be used helpfully in treating some neuropathies and pain caused by nerves damaged, for instance, by diabetes.
When I googled " antidepressants causing nerve damage ", I found some 156,000 references, and all that I looked at were about the benefits of using antidepressants, especially tricyclics in TREATING various forms of painful nerve damage. Antidepressants can stimulate new nerve growth in some situations in which this would be useful

1
Posted by: ANDY | 2009/02/04

I have a constant pain under my finger nail. I got hurt a couple of years ago and the nail fell of and grew back, but the pain is still there for the last ten years almost everyday.

Reply to ANDY