Question
Posted by: Ann | 2011/10/05

Neighbours from Hell

I have had the most inconsiderate and disrepectful neighbour from hell! He has been building now for more than two years and making noise at all times even weekends. If it is not knocking and constant banging/high powered cutting tools, drills and cutting tiles. They also imposed themselves on my boundary which the council says is legal ??? Well there house is literally on my doorstep (less than 2 metres away). I constantly feel that my space and privacy has been intruded on. Then to top it all on two occasions he sends workers over the boundary wall to cut my trees without my permission! He has vandalised my trees destroying beautiful indigenous trees chopped off every branch and the tops! Now it looks awful like a standing truck! He had the audacity to drop all the branches destroying all my shrubs below.

Then yesterday in broad daylight someone came and vandalised my postbox, the brickwork of the wall damaged as they ripped it out and now there is a huge gaping hole!

There seems to be no end here.

I have exams to write in 2 1/2 weeks and find it difficult to have peace and quiet in my own home to study. Once again this morning the neighbours are at it again with their noise. My dogs also bark because of the noise and it is impossible to keep them indoors the whole day!

They have taken two years just to complete one house which they still haven''t quite finished! I can''t bear to live through another two years of dust, noise, builders and aggravation again!

There must be some kind of protection laws against these awful people! I can understand that building causes a mess and demolishing a house causes a mess but the greed of this man is his downfall. He is trying to squash two houses on one property and trying to steal as much space as he can!

I have been living in this house for over 20 years and now I am forced to move out because of this neighbour from hell!

He built his house so close to my boundary wall he now wants me to cut down all my trees as it doesn''t suit him. We told him he can only cut the branches which overhang but none of the branches he cut overhung his property they were all in my own property!

Sounds like one of my neighbours, except he's been building for 10 years. He so rich, but cheap, so he only hires a handful of men so the work takes much longer.
It does sound as though you really need a good legal opinion. Its surely not legal to intrude onto your property and cut trees, thoiugh there may be something about when a branch of your tree overhangs his property.

8
Posted by: Lopez 111 | 2011/10/07

G-Dad is certainly correct with the building rules and regulations. However, the noise and building etc...... you will get nowhere. Seems it is no longer against the law. Been there tried that, still sitt outside under the tree many a night, listening to the neighbours 2 blocks away partying, shouting, screaming, swearing.
Phoned the cops a million times... they are not interested. Aparantly you can do whatever you want until midnight?

Reply to Lopez 111
Posted by: G-Dad | 2011/10/07

First of all there are laws regarding building lines, the norm is 1.5 meters on 2 borders and 4 meters on the the 2 borders, it will be specified in the building plan, should a neighbor want to build across the building line then neighbor''''s from all side''''s has to approve, if they did not give their approval, then depending on the situation, the city council can request them in writing to object and the reason, if their reason is petty and it is only 1 neighbor, then the city council can go ahead with the approval of the plans.

You could request the neighbors to respect others and maybe in writing request that they do not make a noise after and before certain times, should they not comply then it will be in your right to lay a charge noise disturbance, phone the police every time, after the 3rd time the police normally take action, meaning 3 times in 1 day.

The other option would be to get a court order specifying the hours he is allowed to build to give you a break.

I would first contact the municipal council and find out the building line restrictions in your area, if you find that he build over the building line without your permission, then do a complaint in writing to the municipality requesting the proof of your signature for the plans to be approved, also the date of the approval.

Reply to G-Dad
Posted by: dee | 2011/10/06

did he come and ak you to sign forms when he started building/ Our neighbours had to get our signuture when they started building and they arn''t on our boundry.. So did they have to ask the neighbour across the street for their signuture. call the council....

Reply to dee
Posted by: ano | 2011/10/05

bricks dont have finger prints :)

Reply to ano
Posted by: Roommate | 2011/10/05

The matters that could be addressed here are the cutting off of your tres, on your side of the fence and secondly the fact that he built too close to your boundry line. (If it is in fact too close as per the municipal bylaws in your area.
Not much you can do about the rest. He may build and grind and mess and slaughter cows and hammer away as his heart desires....
I know this because we had about 7 families move nto one house about 2 blocks away from us recently. They party constantly. Music so loud and shouting and screaming and vuvuzela''s and cars racing, taxi''s all over the place blocking access to the roads, drunk people puekingin the street, music pumping and so many more things............. aparantly there is absolutely nothing one can do about all this either as it s their property and they may do as they wish......

Reply to Roommate
Posted by: Gabs | 2011/10/05

You know what Ann, I think you should need to get hold of council to check that he is not going over the legal building limits. I know the people behind me had to chop down half their house because they built over the limits (and I know a complex had to destroy a few of the units because they were over). There are boundries, with regards to how close you can build to your neighbor, to the street, etc. You don''t say in what area you are in, but check with your municipality. Do you know if they even got the plans approved (I know you can''t just build, you actually need the municipality to approve the plans)?

Reply to Gabs
Posted by: Obvious | 2011/10/05

You need a lawyer NOT a shrink!

Reply to Obvious