Neighbourly Spray Painters

We have neighbours who are constantly repairing motorcycles and spray painting from around 7:00am till 9:00pm on an almost daily basis. This often causes us not to be able to hear our own television with all doors and windows closed. Over and above this inconveneince we have lived with for about a year now they often spray paint next door and this creates serious over spray when the winds are unfavourable (their spray area is right next to our bordering wall). This causes chest pains and bouts of sneezing in our 2 year old son and my wife and myself.

We have all tried to be tolerant and have raised these issues with them before but it does not seem to help.

Please, I need to sone guidance regarding our rights.

This all happens in a residential suburb in KZN.

Many thanks,

Fed up

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It's illegal for them to make that kind of noise disturbance after hours; call the police at a time this is clearly happening late (e.g. in the evening or on the weekend), and get them both to verify it is happening (in writing) and speak to your neighbours at the same time.

If your neighbours are actually running some kind of backyard business, then if they don't have the proper permits etc., you can report them about this too and shut them down.

Spray-painting is a recognised health risk, especially in kids and it is outrageous that your family has had to endure this.

Call the environmental health department of your local municipality and tell them you want to make a formal complaint and what are the necessary steps.

If you can let me know what municipal area you are in, I can drop them a line too.