Posted by: Anon | 2012-12-14

We rent a flat that is part of house that has been divided in to three units. Our neighbor''s backyard is right outside my kitchen window, I unfortunately can''t help hearing too many things while washing my dishes. Lately this neighbor has been losing his temper a lot and constantly shouting and swearing at his kids for the smallest of things, calling them names, insulting them ect., I don''t even speak that way to my boyfriend when we get into a fight and these are kids that are still in primary school!
Last night they were heading out and his son (probably around 6-7 years old) came to the car without putting shoes on and the man started shouting at him, almost every second word a swear, called him an idiot and threatenend to leave him alone and without food. I get that kids can be difficult, but that scared me, can only imigane how the kid felt.
I worry for them but I''m not keen on meddling in other people''s bussiness, still I feel that I can''t just turn a blind eye. Is there anything spesific that I should feel is a queue to step in and do something or do I just ignore it?

OK, this man is a bad father, apparently at least a verbally abusive one, and possibly physicall as well, but you don't know that.
Any chance of getting to know the gran, and chating to her, discovering what she has noticed, and how she feels about the situation ?
Swearing at him obviously wouldn't help, would it ? Not onlywould it not convince him to change his bad behaviours, but it'd suggest to the kids that this is how adults are supposed to behave.
If you know anyone at the school, maybe you could chat to them, but if you don't, they should probably not agree to talk about a child whi isn't yours. Lou's idea of an anonymous letter to the school might work, or approaching Child Welfare about your concerns, so they could decide whether to investigate.

Posted by: Kelly | 2012-12-14

I wish I could just take them away from this man!
Its horrible but it happens everyday. People abuse their kids and think its normal, its their kids and they can do as they please with them. Lots of these types out there and I feel so so sorry for the children who have to live through this.

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: Lou | 2012-12-14

Find out the names of his childrens school, and send them an anonymous letter to the picipal or social worker there, describing his behaviour at home towards them - schools are pretty good about doing something about this sort of thing. You could also drop him an anonymous letter (if there are a few neighbours in close proximity, he wont know it''s you) - and in the letter say that you hear and see what is going on, and if he doesn''t stop it you will report him to child services and crime line. People (including parents) who behave this way are bullies at the very least, and need to be stopped.

Reply to Lou
Posted by: Anon | 2012-12-14

He''s a single parent, no idea where the mother is but the gran is atleast frequently around to visit.

I have also wanted to go over there and give him a taste of his own medicine but I figured me cussing at him wouldn''t really help much! Doubt talking to him would help much either, I''m still young with no kids, he would probably just tell me I don''t know anything.

Only thing I can think of is to maybe drop by their school, maybe the staff there would know beter how to handle the situation or if it''s even worth looking in to..

Posted by: Anon | 2012-12-14

Difficult situation and poor kids!
I would probably wack him over the head with a heavy object and hope some sense is knocked in aswell.
Horrible parents, where is the mother or is she just like the father. Why do some people have kids!